Commercial Financial Controller
Job Title: Commercial Financial Controller
Reports to: Finance Director
Location: Sandhurst HQ, Surrey
Shift pattern: 40 Hours Monday – Friday
Package: £60,000 - £70,000 Depending upon experience
25 Days holiday per annum (excluding Public Holidays)
On site car parking
This is a unique opportunity to work with ambitious Entrepreneurs to drive business growth and help the Finance Director to shape the finance function. The is both a commercial and technical role, with the successful individual possessing the acumen to thrive in a business with ambitious plans for the future.
Leading the production of both the management accounts and financial accounts for the group, you will possess strong technical compliance knowledge. The successful candidate will work with the Finance Director to implement and enhance existing controls, building frameworks which will support the group’s ability to grow in a sustainable manner. Effective financial planning, building budgets / forecasts, working capital management, ensuring that accurate cash flow forecasts are produced whilst working with the finance team and business are an essential component in this role.
You must be able to link the commercial and operational activities to finance. The ability to foresee and mitigate risk is an essential quality that you will possess. Business partnering effectively with Operations, supporting the Finance Director, and bringing a problem-solving mindset will be key success factors. The Entrepreneurs will also place reliance on this role, as your ability to deputise for the Finance Director whenever required is a pre-requisite, as well as being a great career development opportunity for the successful candidate.
The role will be a crucial enabler for business decision making for both the Finance Director and the leadership team. There will be a team reporting into this role which includes Credit control, Accounts Payable / Payroll Lead and the Finance Business Partner. You must have a track record of managing a finance team, with the insight to know how to make the team work effectively together.
Possessing strong communication skills, an eye for detail, problem solving and building effective relationships (both external and internal) are a pre-requisite. The individual will be a pro-active enabler, able to constructively challenge and provide the solution to issues as they arise.
It is envisaged that this individual will develop into a future Finance Director as the business embarks on its growth trajectory.
MANAGEMENT ACCOUNTS, FINANCIAL ACCOUNTS AND FINANCIAL CONTROL
• Lead the production of group monthly management accounts.
• In partnership with the Finance Director, lead the group’s annual financial accounts.
• Work with the Finance Director to agree an effective month end schedule.
• Partner with the Credit Controller & Cash Analyst in production of month end bank reconciliations and monthly cash flow report & forecast for the group.
• Work with the Finance Director to build budgets, forecasts and to manage working capital for the group.
• Support the Finance Director and finance team in producing MI review packs.
• Support the Finance Director in managing the group’s balance sheets (including reconciliations), ensuring that all processes adhere to and comply with Financial Reporting Standards.
• Effectively delegate P&L production and balance sheet management amongst the finance team.
• Contribute to the Risk Register by working with the Finance Director and wider business.
• Partner with Credit Controller & Cash Analyst and operations to track all client contract variations.
• Work with the Finance Director, Commercial Financial Controller and Operations to report WIP.
• Review the financial policies and controls framework with the Finance Director to assess effectiveness, as well working to improve the framework.
COMMERCIAL AND OTHER
• Understand client commercial agreements.
• Work with Finance Director, Credit Controller & Cash Analyst and Operations to build fixed order workbook.
• In partnership with the Credit Controller & Cash Analyst, review the WIP with Operations. Identifying all opportunities for both existing billing and all “Out of Scope” / “Contract Variations which require billing.
• Report the WIP to Finance Director and Group leadership team.
• Ensure the team sends the monthly reports to the group’s external funders and investors.
• Business partner with Operations and Sales, providing support and challenge where required.
• Run Aged Debt reports and support with Credit Control (with support also coming from the Finance Business Partner and Finance Director).
• Ensure the daily bank reconciliations and Cash positions are produced by the finance team. Delegate the circulation of the daily Cash position summaries.
• With support from the finance team, manage HMRC compliance and correspondence.
• Other Ad Hoc requests as they arise.
• Support the Accounts Payable / Payroll lead with the monthly payroll.
• Deputise for the Finance Director when required.
EDUCATION LEVEL & QUALIFICATIONS
• ACCA / CIMA / ICEAW qualified
• Excellent spoken and written English language
KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE
• Microsoft Office (incl. Excel, Word, ppt etc.)
• Strong Excel / financial modelling and analysis experience
• Identifies and implement best practices
• Team management
• Experience with SAGE, Quiktools and Xero
• BI tools experience
• Planning tools / software
• High level of self-motivation and possess a problem-solving mindset.
• “Hands on” approach, with attention to detail.
• Possess commercial acumen and team leadership skills
• A high degree of integrity and ability to constructively challenge
• Strong relationship management
• Self-motivated and able to work both as part of a team and on an individual basis
• Manage and prioritise workload and time
• Confident user of all communication channels including phone calls, email and letters
Interested? Come and join our team! Send us your CV and a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that the role description may change in line with the operational requirements of the business or the line manager. In addition, its contents are not intended to be exhaustive. Freidman is an equal opportunities employer.